Crock Pot BBQ Chicken

I've been counting down the days until I go back to North Carolina for the holidays just about as soon as I returned to D.C. after Thanksgiving. There is something about being in NC with family that gives me a sense of comfort and pure happiness that no other place on earth has or can give me. And there is no denying that the southern hospitality and food have something to do with the happiness I experience.


One of tastiest foods that the South has to offer is BBQ. Pulled pork BBQ with North Carolina style sauce (it's vinegar based) is so good that it'll make you want to move down south. Now normally I'm a fan of ketchup and will put it on just about anything, but when it comes to my BBQ I prefer the tangy, vinegar base BBQ sauce that North Carolina is known for. Haven't tried it yet? Then I highly suggest you stop by Bullock's BBQ the next time you go through Durham, NC. They know a thing or two about cooking and southern hospitality.


While this recipe does not use pork, I sure didn't miss it. The tender BBQ chicken is so darn good that I could have sworn that I was back home when I was eating it. I made sure to purchase North Carolina style BBQ sauce and did not add any brown sugar, so my BBQ chicken was very similar to what I grew up eating. If you prefer sweetness, then purchase a sweeter BBQ sauce and add the brown sugar. Either way, the end results of falling apart tender chicken that has soaked up all of the tasty goodness from the BBQ marinade will make your heart crave the South. But don't worry if you don't live anywhere near the Mason-Dixon Line...I have lots more southern recipes coming your way!

Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
(4-6 servings)

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12 ounces BBQ sauce (your favorite kind)
1/2 cup fat free Italian salad dressing
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
optional: 1/4 cup brown sugar

Add chicken to crock pot. Mix BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar (if using) in a small bowl until ingredients are incorporated. Pour over chicken. Cook over low heat for 6 hours. Take a fork and shred chicken in the crock pot. (This will be very easy as the chicken will be extremely tender at this point.) Cook another 1-2 hours over low heat.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 177.0
Total Fat: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 55.7 mg
Sodium: 916.8 mg
Total Carbs: 17.5 g
Fiber: 0.2 g
Sugars: 15.2 g
Protein: 23.4 g

Pros:
-Very easy to make
-Quick prep time
-Delicious
-Versatile-use your favorite BBQ sauce depending on your preferences and add more/less brown sugar to make it sweet or not so sweet; add this BBQ chicken to a sandwich, eat it on top of a salad, or serve it with a few sides
-Great leftovers

Cons:
-Very high in sodium-try finding reduced sodium BBQ sauce or salad dressing

Elaine

14 comments:

  1. Great post, Elaine--paying homage to your southern roots, with a twist! Can't wait to see you. L. D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious-- love the addition of the avocado :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I tried to lighten it up a bit by having it on a salad. It was delicious!

      Delete
  3. Darn right about NC bbq, I'm a Short Sugars girl myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that place out! And NC BBQ is THE best BBQ, hands down. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I need this so bad. A) southern BBQ. b) Crockpot. Excellent! Although I love a little place in O'burg SC!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try this Sean! And what's this place called? I love finding out about places with amazing southern food.

      Delete
  5. DELICIOUS!!! We love BBQ Chicken! I will try this easy recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love this recipe Pamela! It's so easy and delicious!

      Delete
  6. I'm obsessed with my crock pot that I just got for Christmas! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crock pots are seriously the one of the best kitchen appliances. Couldn't be easier. You'll have to let me know some good recipes that you try!

      Delete
  7. This is a truly AMAZING, DELICIOUS, & a SIMPLE recipe!!!! My fiance made it and all we could say was...ooh we should have put more chicken in the crock pot as when we ran out of it...disappointment occurred. Great ideas, Elaine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm so glad that y'all liked it Lisa!! You'll just have to make a double batch next time. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips